Moral Goodness vs. Temptations

My heart is torn between my loyalty towards King Duncan and my love for my dearest wife, Lady Macbeth! Tonight the King visits my dwelling for a feast that may be his last. My wife believes that this may be our chance to seize what is rightfully ours! She questions my manhood for I am not on terms with her decisions. Apparently I am a man with ambition but insufficiently ruthless. Isn’t it, that a man with vaulting ambition will only destroy himself in the end? I doubt whether I should have told my dearest love of these prophecies for she is asking for me to commit sins that is beyond my character. King Duncan is my noble cousin, one of whom I absolutely believe is a great individual with gracious virtues and is therefore the most suitable being to reign a kingdom. I should let fate take its course instead of creating it. If I were to become king then so shall I. But my wife is the precious thing in my life; she is the eyes of my heart. I succumb to my wife’s diabolical plan for my ambition to become King of Scotland and my love towards my wife blinds my sight of morality. These fierce ambition sparks were ignited within me after my first encounter with the three agents of evil and listening to their prophetic greetings of my fate.

First Witch.
All hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee, thane of Glamis!
Second Witch.
All hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee, thane of Cawdor!
Third Witch.
All hail Macbeth, that shalt be king hereafter!
[I.iii.48-50]

I hope there will be forgiveness for me after I carry out this act of sin!

Thuvaaraka Sugumaran

No comments:

Post a Comment