So Foul and Fair a Day

Here I am today, invested in Scone. Hence forth I will embark on a new journey as King of Scotland.   However, lest we forget the tragedy of the day, I express my heartfelt condolences.   My life, blessed prior to this moment, has been thrust into violent winds so akin to those of yesterday night.  So many emotions envelope my being at the thought of our beloved and renowned King’s merciless murder, it seems impossible to differentiate.  What is regrettable is the place at which this ruthless crime has occurred.   I, the host who was meant to serve our beloved and keep the doors locked to murderers, was unable.  This is my deepest regret.  Yet, what is more, they were present among us from the commencement of the night.  Unable to control my emotions, I killed the guards who were soaked in Duncan’s wine of life which they had drowned of him.  But can one possibly blame oneself for an act derived from the loss of a loved one?  Regrettably, after washing of fear and doubt, I myself including Banquo and Macduff have searched to seek further answers, but remain incapable of reaching a conclusion.  All the more deplorable is the cold flight of our deceased’s own blood, Malcolm and Donalbain, on which act we assume they played a role in the tragedy.  Once again, I would like to express my appreciation for everyone who presented themselves at Duncan’s funeral procession, but let us move forth and rejoice for the new reign in Scotland ruled by myself.  

Mahin Qureshi                

No comments:

Post a Comment