Today's Regret Brings Tomorrow's Fortune

                                                                                 
Concealed within the darkness and shadows of the night, I have committed a grave deed.  Tonight I have seen the bloody dagger of my ambitions – a fateful apparition conceived from my fevered brain that directed me to perform what I had already intended to enact tonight.  At the wake of tomorrow morning I will have gained what I deserve as the three weird sisters’ prophesy claimed.    At long last I have accomplished in this passage of the dark hours my ambitions as half the world sleeps in the wicked facade of nightmares and witches offer their sacrifices to Hecate.  I have committed the deed the bell had summoned me to and validated his departure.    Yet I regret – Have I, in my vaulting ambition, o’erleaped too far to thus damage myself? My courage has deserted me, for I am stricken with guilt over the sorry sight of my hands smeared in the wine of life that they have drained.   This act cannot be expunged as  mine hands will stain even Neptune's oceans incarnadine.  Perhaps I have forsaken God for “Amen” is a word too holy for a man such as me who has committed treason against the nature of life. I cannot be blessed hereafter.  In guaranteeing him an eternity of peace, I have taken the burden of sleepless nights.   Even so, it seems a better alternative than pondering my actions, for sunrise will bring both my dearest and I a glorious new beginning.  As my wife says, I must not be lost so poorly in mine thoughts as after they have been enacted it will only conceive anger -Hark!  Wherefore is that knocking?  If only your knocking could wake Duncan.  I must retire to my chamber before anyone wakes up. Tomorrow I will bathe in grandeur and wealth.

  Mahin Qureshi

No comments:

Post a Comment